Improve Your Shopify SEO and Get Started to Rank #1 – A Crisp Guide
Everything astrology suggests, hardly applies to every one of us with equal impact. Just like this fact, everything on the internet about improving SEO for your website won’t apply for you. Thus Evincera brings you logical, feasible, and customizable solutions for your SEO requirements.
With numerous online stores and platforms, everyone is trying to build a unique experience for customers with different goals, content, location, audience, etc.
With Shopify, it has become easier for store owners to set up their online presence but making it rank properly is important to generate more revenue and create a success story.
With Shopify SEO strategies in the right place, your Shopify store will start ranking immediately and bring you organic traffic, visitors, and more customers.
Here, we’ve listed down just a couple of the basic steps of Shopify SEO especially for Shopify store owners who are trying to make their stores rank on search engines. Moreover, we have brought some of these strategies evaluated from the Shopify store’s inbuilt features only. This suggests, no paid tools are required!
Let’s start with a quick glance at SEO
People visit a search engine like Google to search for many things they have in mind. Be them queries, doubts, problems, and their solutions. Google uses varied types of data from different websites to make a ranked list of results (SERP) for a specific search query. Google or the other program determines which websites are presumably to be relevant to the search query entered by the customer, then displays the results as per their relevance.
There are many factors that are necessary for ranking Shopify stores. Such as:
- Optimized content & structure of your website.
- Older domains
- Authority of your Shopify store based on engagement with the audience. To be precise, reviews, ratings & comments.
- Online links pointing to your website from other websites.
But with Shopify, the SEO scenario is a bit different.
Shopify takes care of your technical SEO automatically.
But meanwhile, you need to take care of some basic things like:
- Add/Edit tags, meta descriptions, and URLs for your product pages, blog posts, and collections.
- Add/Edit the ALT image text.
Let’s start with the SEO process which you need to take care of at your end…
Start with the Keywords
It’s necessary to understand your targeted audience and to make your store specific for a specific audience.
For example, you deal with shoes, specifically leather ones and you’ve got tons of audiences/customers from metro cities of India. Then, the possibility is that people look for terms like ‘affordable shoes in Mumbai’.
Now, to make your store feature in the search result for this term, your products & collections must include specific tags & meta descriptions including keywords: ‘affordable shoes’, ‘leather shoes’ & ‘Names of Cities in India’.
Another hack: Google the keyword, search for the ‘Searches related’ section at rock bottom of the page. Here, you’ll have related search keywords for the term you searched.
Repeating it again, the keywords should be readable, naturally inspired, and relatable. Customers won’t click links with random keywords. Moreover, search engines ignore websites that don’t use keywords with nature explained before.
Where can you add keywords in the Shopify store?
There are four major places where you can add keywords on your Shopify store to enhance SEO:
- ALT text to pictures
- Meta description
Image Alt Text
Alt text or an alternate text is added to the pictures that you simply upload on your Shopify store. This is often because search engines can’t read images; they will only read the text. Adding alt text to pictures lets the program describe the image.
Alt-text is additionally a crucial accessibility feature for people that have visual impairments.
So, while describing the image, you’ll include keywords associated with the merchandise or your website.
In your Shopify store, you’ll add alt text to product images, collection images & blog post images.
- From Shopify admin, visit Products > All products.
- Click the product with the image that you simply want to edit.
- From Shopify admin, visit Products > Collections.
- Click the collection with the image that you want to edit.
- Tap on the image to add alt text.
Blog Post Featured Image
- From Shopify Admin, visit Online Store > Blog Posts
- Click the collection with the image that you simply want to edit.
- Tap on the image to feature alt text.
Title & Meta description
The title tag and meta description are two of the foremost important elements of SEO.
- Use up to 70 characters.
- It should be unique, readable, relatable & descriptive.
- Must include targeted keywords of your online store products, collections & blog post.
- Must include 320 characters or fewer.
- Concise, must include keywords & use plain & direct language.
The following things can be edited by visiting the product, collection, or blog post’s ‘Search engine listing preview‘ section.
Set a title and description for your Shopify store
- From your Shopify admin section, visit Online Store > Preferences.
- Enter a title and meta description for your Shopify store.
Tags won’t impact the SEO to an excellent level but it keeps the products, collections & blog posts organized.
In another view, if you employ tags on your product page or link to your tagged collections pages they could impact SEO. If your Shopify theme displays the merchandise tags on the merchandise description page, they will become page content that Google will read.
Add individual tags by visiting the merchandise, collection, or blog post’s pages.
Optimizing Website Navigation
The website navigation structure must be clean-cut, self-explanatory & easy-to-operate. Don’t let your website be a posh palace with no directions. This may create a confusing and unsightly user-experience, making them leave your website ASAP.
With Shopify online store, you don’t need to worry about your site structure, because Shopify has built-in program optimization to make sure that search engines can easily find all of your websites.
According to Shopify, these are the SEO practices that are automatically followed for your Shopify online store:
- Content should be properly categorized.
- Pages don’t use iframes.
- URLs use standard characters and a straightforward, readable structure.
Moreover, you’ll do a couple of things from your end to optimize the navigation for search engines.
Note: Pages should be within 3 clicks range from Home Page.
- Adding heading & text to every section added on your home pages’ theme with targeted keywords. Here’s how – visit Shopify Admin > Online Store > Customize. Click on the section you would like to edit, make changes & save.
- Every menu added to your store should contain a title, description & website SEO. Edit this by visiting Shopify admin > Online Store > Pages. Click on the page you would like to edit, make changes & save.
Need assistance with your Shopify SEO?
Evincera has been helping shopify stores of all sizes since the need of Shopify SEO started rising.